A tasty meal for anyone looking for a vegetarian option. I found this recipe from my “Allrecipes” app and made a little modification by using red lettuce instead of a bun and adding salsa for a different flavor.
Servings per Recipe: 5-6
Serving Size: 1
Fat: 10.6 g
Carbs: 28.9 g
Protein: 9.3 g
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup quinoa
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup minced yellow bell pepper
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 head red lettuce, washed and trimmed
5 table spoons salsa
1. Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Roughly mash the black beans with a masher leaving some whole black beans in a paste-like mixture.
3. Mix the quinoa, bread crumbs, bell peppers, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, hot sauce, and egg into the black beans using your hands.
4. Form the black bean mixture into 1 1/2 inch thick patties.
5. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
6. Cook the patties in the hot oil until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
7. Place two leaves of lettuce on a plate and place a patty on top of the lettuce.
8. Top burger with a tablespoon of salsa and serve.